|Flightline Home||Restoration Hangar||Main Hangar|
|Museum Map (PDF)||Off Site||Outside||South Hangar|
The Fairchild FC-1 and its derivatives were a family of light, single engine, high wing utility monoplanes produced in the United States in the 1920s and 1930s. The aircraft was originally designed to provide a camera platform for Sherman Fairchild's aerial photography and survey business, Fairchild Aerial Surveys.
The wooden wings were able to be folded back against the tail for storage. To facilitate its intended role, the cabin was extensively glazed, offering plenty of vantage points for photographers.
A version optimized for cargo carrying was produced as the FC-2W with a Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial engine and increased wingspan.
A Fairchild FC-2W2 named Stars and Stripes (Serial No. 140), was taken by Richard Evelyn Byrd on his Antarctic expedition of the same year. Byrd's aircraft is preserved at the Virginia Aviation Museum, on loan from the National Air and Space Museum.
The basic FC-2 design was further evolved into the model 51 and 71.
Operated by Bob Reeve; one of six known to exist.
Photographed at Dillingham Airport, Dillingham, Alaska, USA, ca. 1940, by Alfred Opland
10/31/2007. Remarks by Lars Opland: "This aircraft was manufactured in 1928 and was first owned by Utah Oil Refining Company of Salt Lake City, Utah, and participated in the 1929 National Air Tour. In probably 1941 or early 1942 it was sold to Robert C. "Bob" Reeve (pictured in the foreground) who flew this aircraft only for military contract work to Morrison-Knudson during WW II. The bare steel tube fuselage frame of NC7034 is currently on display at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum."
Wikipedia - During 1942 Reeve purchased a Fairchild FC-2W-2. A forced landing was made 20 miles east of Cold Bay. Reeve managed to salvage his radio, but the uninsured plane was written off.
One of Alaska's most historical surviving aviation relics, the AAM Stinson SR-9 was owned & flown by some of the "who's who" of Alaska aviation pioneering.
Initially brought to Alaska by Linius McGee the SR-9 Gullwing was sold to Oscar Winchell, "The Flying Cowboy", Ray Petersen, "King of the Bushpilots", Bill Lavery of Lavery Airways, Albert Ball of Western Alaska Airlines and the legendary Bill Munz dba Munz Northern Airlines in Nome.
Donated to the museum in 1988 by Joyce and Dick Galleher of Nome. The plane had been sat at the Nome City field for about 10 years. Recovery team members included Dick Benner Jr., Don Robinson and Fred Robinson, sho received travel assistance from Alaska Airlines. MarkAir transported the plane from Nome. The Alaska Air National Guard moved the plane the last leg to the museum.
The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk was an American single-engine, single-seat, all-metal fighter and ground attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. It was used by the air forces of 28 nations, including those of most Allied powers during World War II, and remained in front line service until the end of the war. It was the third most produced American fighter ever, after the P-51 and P-47; by November 1944, when production of the P-40 ceased, 13,738 had been built.
This plane was assigned to the 11th Air Force, 343 Fighter Group, 11th Fighter Squadron. On May 12, 1943 it had a forced landing at East Clam Lagoon, Adak Island, Alaska. It was damaged beyond repair and left there. It was recovered in 1999 with the assistance of:
The museum's recovery effort in September 1999.
|Length:||31.67 ft||9.66 m|
|Wingspan:||37.33 ft||11.38 m|
|Height:||12.33 ft||3.76 m|
|Wing area:||235.94 ft²||21.92 m²|
|Empty weight:||6,350 lb||2,880 kg|
|Loaded weight:||8,280 lb||3,760 kg|
|Max takeoff weight:||8,810 lb||4,000 kg|
|Powerplant:||Lycoming GO-480-G1D6 geared 6-cylinder engine, 295 hp|
|Maximum speed:||360 mph||580 km/h|
|Cruise speed:||270 mph||435 km/h|
|Range:||650 nmi||1,100 km|
|Service ceiling:||29,000 ft||8,800 m|
|Rate of climb:||2,100 ft/min||11 m/s|
|Wing loading:||35.1 lb/ft²||171.5 kg/m²|
|Power/mass:||0.14 hp/lb||230 W/kg|
|Guns:||6 × .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns with 150-200 rounds per gun|
|Bombs:||250 to 1,000 lb (110 to 450 kg) bombs to a total of 2,000 lb (907 kg) on three hardpoints (one under the fuselage and two underwing)|
Designed in the late 30's, the Cessna "Bobcat" was flown by the military for flight training. After WWII was over, many were surplused to civilian air carriers. Known as the "Bamboo Bomber" because of their all wood wing, many were used in Alaska air operation.
Cessna UC-78B Bobcat serial number 71933 (c/n 4629) to Northern Consolidated Airlines as NC30023.
Six examples were modified for bush operations by Ray Petersen's Northern Consolidated Airlines. Petersen called his modified Cessna T-50's "Bushmasters".
The air museum's example, NC30023, was recovered from an aircraft dump in Nome in 1988.
The wood wing of NC30023 was a 3 year restoration project by Walt Eberhart, a Fairbanks resident and a former NCA mechanic, who worked on NC30023 while the Cessna was in service with NCA.
Cessna T-50.org A word about the "Bamboo Bomber Club": No dues, No Meetings, No Officers, No membership cards, No Newsletter
N789 was in service with the US Navy until being surplused to the US Fish & Wildlife Service in 1956. The immortal Grumman has flown all over Alaska from the Aleutian Islands to the Arctic Ocean throughout its service life. The Goose, N789, was donated to the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum by the US Department of Interior in 1997 through the efforts of Senator Ted Stevens.
The Grumman Goose was originally designed as a commuter plane for wealthy businessmen and sportsman located in and around New York City The aircraft first few in 1937 and was in production until 1945 Total production was 345 aircraft The aircraft had several designations, G-21A was the civil designation, in the Navy it was the JRF-1 thru 6 and the Army called it the OA-9 and OA-13. The G-21B did not have landing gear and at least five were built under this designation, one was sold to Portugal.
There were a number of post war modifications to the Goose; some of these added turbine engines, extended the fuselage to increase the seating capacity or did both There is one that added 4 Lycoming engines, one that added Garrett turbines and extended the cockpit to seat four.
This aircraft, Grumman JRF-5, Navy Bureau number 84807 was accepted by the Navy at the Grumman factory in Bethpage, NY on November 29, 1944.
Tom Wardleigh, then with the US Fish & Wildlife Service, departed Phoenix ferrying the aircraft to Anchorage, Territory of Alaska on 3 February 1956 His route was, Phoenix, AZ--San Francisco, CA--Eugene, OR--Portland, OR--Bremerton, WA--Port Hardy, AK--Ketchikan, AK--Juneau, AK--Anchorage, Territory of AK and it took ten days.
On the 5th of September, 1960 the aircraft was damaged by an explosion, in the cabin, while on the beach delivering fuel to a research camp at Karluk Lake, AK. Temporary repairs were made to return the aircraft to Anchorage, AK. Repairs were completed to return the aircraft to service in September 1964.
The aircraft was sold, transferring title to the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum on 24 October 1996.
|Capacity:||5 - 7 passengers|
|Length:||38 ft 6 in||11.74 m|
|Wingspan:||49 ft 0 in||14.94 m|
|Height:||16 ft 2 in||4.93 m|
|Engines:||2 × Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-6 Wasp Junior nine-cylinder air-cooled radials, 450 hp (340 kW) each|
|Empty weight:||5,425 lb||2,466 kg|
|Loaded weight:||8,000 lb||3,636 kg|
|Useful load:||2,575 lb||1,170 kg|
|Maximum speed:||175 knots||324 km/h|
|Range:||557 nmi||1,030 km|
|Service ceiling:||21,300 ft||6,494 m|
|Rate of climb:||1,100 ft/min||5.6 m/s|
Manufactured by Canadian Car and Foundry Co. Delivered to the USAF as aircraft No. 43-35433 on May 31, 1944. Flown to Statesboro, Georgia, arriving June 4. With the 3rd Air Force. Assigned to the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, Bush Field, Augusta, Georgia on September 19, 1945 for disposal as surplus. Sold to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, DC., and registered as N725E. Sold to Northern Consolidated Airlines Inc. in Anchorage in 1951. Interior Airways (Fairbanks) purchased the aircraft in 1955 to use during the construction of the DEW (Distant Early Warning) line and for other bush flying. Donated by the Fairbanks North Star Borough and Jim and Dottie Magoffin on November 8, 1995.
The Stinson Aircraft Company was founded in 1920 by Edward Stinson. In 1925 the company moved to Detroit from Dayton and proceeded to produce more than 13,000 aircraft during the next 30 years. One of the most successful models built was the Reliant, more commonly known as the "Gullwing". 1,327 Reliants were manufactured from 1933 into the 1940's. They quickly developed a reputation as rugged, safe, and dependable aircraft and were soon a favorite of pilots everywhere. After WWII many Reliants became available to the commercial market in the United States. Northern Consolidated. Wien Airlines, Alaska Airlines and Munz Northern Airline all used the reliable Stinson.
The museum's Reliant was built for the British during WWII receiving the designation AT-19 or V-77. It was repatriated after the war and entered the civilian registry in 1946. It is an example of the last of the famous "gullwing" designs for Stinson, known in the civilian market as the SR 10 and represents a 1950's era Alaska Airlines aircraft. It was purchased from the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California by Don Rogers and Bob Wagstaff of Anchorage and donated to the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum, where it was fully restored by museum volunteers.
|Length:||27 ft 11 in||8.51 m|
|Wingspan:||41 ft 7 in||12.68 m|
|Max speed:||120 MPH|
|Height:||8 ft 6 in||2.59 m|
|Wing area:||256.5 sq ft||23.84 m²|
|Empty weight:||3,045 lb||1,384 kg|
|Loaded weight:||4,605 lb||2,093 kg|
|Cruise speed:||154 knots||285 km/h|
|Range:||739 nmi||1,369 km|
|Service ceiling:||21,000 ft||6,400 m|
|Rate of climb:||1,330 ft/min||6.8 m/s|
|Length:||31 ft 1 in||9.47 m|
|Wingspan:||40 ft 0 in||12.19 m|
|Wing area:||245 ft²||22.8 m²|
|Height:||11 ft 5 in||3.48 m|
|Engines:||2 × Ranger L-440C-5 inverted inline 6-cylinder engines, 200 hp (150 kW) each|
|Empty weight:||3,189 lb||1,470 kg|
|Loaded weight:||4,500 lb||2,041 kg|
|Max takeoff weight:||4,500 lb||2,041 kg|
|Maximum speed:||139 knots||257 km/h|
|Range:||800 nmi||1,481 km|
|Rate of climb:||1,000 ft/min||305 m/min|
The Widgeon is the smallest member of the Grumman family of amphibious aircraft and was originally intended for the civil market. The first prototype flew in 1940 and over 200 Widgeons were built between 1941 to 1948. The first production aircraft went to the U.S. Navy and during WWII the Widgeon was used as a small patrol, training, and utility aircraft. They also served with the Army Air Force, U.S. Coastguard, and the British Royal Navy who called it the Gosling. A Widgeon flying out of Houma, Louisiana was credited, in August 1942, with sinking the first German submarine sunk by the U.S. Coast Guard.
The museum's Widgeon was built in 1943. Its military record and history prior to 1967 is unknown, except that it was on the Canadian registry for a period of time. In 1967 it returned to the States and was modified by McKinnon Enterprises to become a "Super Widgeon". Improvements included two Lycoming GO-480 engines, Hartzell 3 bladed propellers, metalized wings and flaps, and an increase in gross weight to 5500 lbs.
N13122 was donated to the Museum by Mr. and Mrs. James Magoffin who were owners and founders of Interior Airways, Alaska International Air, and MarkAir. It was the Magoffins personal aircraft and they enjoyed flying it throughout Alaska, Canada, and the Lower 48.
|Capacity:||3,880 lb including 14 troops,
or 6 stretchers, or equivalent cargo
|Length:||57 ft 1 in with rotors||17.40 m|
|Width:||8 ft 7 in (Fuselage)||2.62 m|
|Height:||14 ft 5 in||4.39 m|
|Main Rotor Diameter:||48 ft 0 in||14.63 m|
|Empty weight:||5,215 lb||2,365 kg|
|Gross weight:||9,040 lb||4,100 kg|
|Max takeoff weight:||9,500 lb||4,309 kg|
|Powerplant:||1 × Lycoming T53-L-11 turboshaft, 1,100 shp (820 kW)|
|Maximum speed:||135 mph||217 km/h|
|Cruise speed:||125 mph||201 km/h|
|Range:||315 nmi||507 km|
|Service ceiling:||19,390 ft||5,910 m|
|Rate of climb:||1,755 ft/min||8.92 m/s|
|Power/Mass:||0.15 hp/lb||0.25 kW/kg|
The Army bought this helicopter in August of 1966. This helicopter served 4 tours in Viet Nam before coming to Alaska with the US Army. It was used for approximately 23 years for search and rescue efforts in Alaska before being flown in and donated to AAM.
65-12849 UH-1 Construction Number: 5186
In late 1943 Frank Piasecki got a contract from the U.S. Navy to design a large tandem rotor helicopter. The design was known as the HRP-1, which evolved into the H-21. This was the first successful tandem rotor helicopter, and the first helicopter designed for the Navy.
The H-21 was originally developed by Piasecki as an Arctic rescue helicopter. The H-21 had winterization features permitting operation at temperatures as low as -65°F, and could be routinely maintained in severe cold weather environments. With its Arctic winter capabilities, the H-21A and H-21B were put into service by both the USAF and the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) to maintain and service DEW (Distant Early Warning) radar installations stretching from the Aleutian Islands, through Alaska and across the Canadian Arctic to Greenland and Iceland.
The H-21 Workhorse was also known as the "Flying Banana". This model helicopter set world records in speed and altitude and was in service with the military for nearly 40 years around the world.
|Manufaturer's Serial No.||B-157|
|Customer's Serial No.||54-4004|
There are a few serial numbers related to this airframe, but searching the internet doesn't clear things up.
The FAA Registration says: N6869 - Serial Number 54-4404, but the data plate clearly says 54-4004
In this list from worldmilitair.com Piasecki Production Numbers the serial number has an extra zero.
PIASECKI H-21B-PH WORK HORSE (42) - 54-04004 - UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
USAF Serial Number Search Results:
4004 (c/n B.157) delivered Jul 17, 1956 by aircraft carrier DIXMUDE to French ALAT in Algeria as 8.000.132 and
became FR10. SOC May 17, 1968. Now on US civil registry as N6869.
Noted Summer 2005 at Alaska Aviation Heritage Museu, Lake Hood, Anchorage, AK
Complete (Historical) Civil Rotorcraft Register of the USA (N7001 through N8374) N6869 Piasecki H-21B-PH Workhorse B.157 (=FR10) 54-4004(N),8000132(F),N6869,'54-4004(N)' » [prs]
FORTITUDO ET PREPARATIO - The 21st Operations Squadron (OSS), utilized H-21 helicopters for search and rescue work
21st Space Wing
Alaskan style interior
H-21B, 5017th Operations Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, early 1960s from http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/3wing/units/history/webdocs/H-21B.htm
|Crew:||3–5 (Pilot, co-pilot, crew chief and one or two gunners in Vietnam)|
|Capacity:||20 troops or 12 stretchers|
|Length:||52 ft 6 in||16.01 m|
|Rotor Diameter:||44 ft 0 in||13.41 m|
|Disk Area:||3,041 sq ft||282.6 sq m|
|Height:||15 ft 9 in||4.8 m|
|Empty weight:||8,950 lb||4,58 kg|
|Loaded weight:||15,200 lb||6,892 kg|
|Max takeoff weight:||15,200 lb||6,892 kg|
|Powerplant:||1 × Wright R-1820-103 radial engine, 1,425 hp (1,063 kW) driving 2 rotors|
|Maximum speed:||127 mph||204 km/h|
|Cruise speed:||98 mph||158 km/h|
|Range:||265 nmi||427 km|
|Service ceiling:||9,450 ft||2,880 m|
|Disk loading:||5 lb/sq ft||24kg/sq m|
|Power/Mass:||0.09 hp/lb||150 W/kg|
|F-15 Cockpit Procedures Trainer||Heads Up Display (HUD)|
The Space Shuttle Simulator has two positions up in the cockpit. There are two simulators up front so that two different people can run two different missions at once.
Space Shuttle in Extreme Detail - Ultra high-resolution pictures of Space Shuttle Discovery.
Airport Beacon, Link Trainer, and a helicopter in the background.
An early model of the Consolidated B-24 Liberator was sold under the model name LB-30 (for Land Bomber)
Wikipedia - Consolidated B-24 Liberator
Equipped with skis and a windshield for winter conditions.
From Hitchinbrook Island, Prince William Sound
11,000 actualo miles, original tires, Flathead 6, 4 speed, double clutch, 98% original, only four owners.
Donated by Jim Dault