The Stinson Reliant, commonly known as the Gullwing, was one of the most successful designs produced by the Stinson Aircraft Corporation, with a total of 1327 being built. Introduced in 1938, it originally featured leather upholstery, walnut instrument panels, and automobile-style roll down windows. The Reliant carried a pilot and up to four passengers.The Reliant was used as a utility and trainer aircraft for the U.S. military during World War II. N79458, since being sold by the U.S. military in 1946, has had 20 separate owners prior to its arrival at the museum. By 1969 the aircraft had a complete overhaul of the air-frame and wings as well as an engine replacement. N79458 was donated to the museum by Donald Rogers and Robert Wagstaff in November 1995.