The Taylorcraft L-2 Grasshopper is an observation aircraft built for the U.S. military during WWII. It has a two place, tandem cockpit and was primarily used for forward observation and artillery spotting. The aircraft was particularly good at short takeoffs and landings on unprepared landing strips. After the war, many of the aircraft were converted for civilian use as model DCO-65. The museum’s L-2, N47648, was built in 1943 and sold a year later to a civilian in Texas. The original purchase price was $946. This aircraft was purchased and transported to Alaska by Dick Benner, sold to Don Keil who then donated the aircraft to the Alaska Aviation Museum. It was named “Midge” in honor of Don Keil’s wife, a long serving volunteer at the museum.