The first Goose flew in 1937 and it stayed in production until 1945. Total production was 345 aircraft. During WWII the Goose served with all branches of the military and several other nations as a utility, small transport, and patrol aircraft. The Museum’s Goose, N789, was accepted by the U.S. Navy at the Grumman factory in Bethpage, NY on November 29, 1944. From there it went to various duty stations around the U.S. until 1956, when it was transferred to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service in Alaska. In 1974 the aircraft was reassigned to the Office of Aircraft Services which was created to provide aviation services to the Department of the Interior. In 1994, after 38 years of public service in Alaska, N789 was sold to the Alaska Aviation Museum.